Chief Financial Officer
Crestone Capital LLC is an independent multi-family office that provides wealth management services to an exclusive network of entrepreneurs, business owners and their families. The team at Crestone delivers a suite of fully integrated investment management and wealth advisory services to families looking to protect and enhance their wealth and define their legacy. With 30 years of experience in the multi-family office space, and approximately $3.6 billion of assets under management, the Crestone team combines institutional knowledge with a personalized, boutique approach to serve clients as fiduciaries, putting their needs and interests first. Crestone is 100% employee owned, with more than 60 employees, headquartered in Boulder, with offices in Denver, Austin, Los Angeles and Salt Lake City. Crestone has been recognized three times by Outside magazine as one of the top 50 Best Places to Work in America.
If you have the personal and business maturity and experience for the role described below, and share Crestone’s passion for clients, investing, and a healthy integration of work and life, read on and then drop us a note. We would love to hear from you!
Overview of Role
Crestone seeks a deeply experienced, outgoing, relationship‐oriented, and highly effective leader to direct and manage our dynamic and progressive accounting, finance, and technology teams as our Chief Financial Officer. This role will report directly to the Chief Executive Officer as one of his five direct reports and will play a major leadership role as one of the top executives in the firm in maintaining and expanding our best-in-class processes and tools that will help drive the firm to new heights.
The Chief Financial Officer (CFO) role is accountable for the financial and risk management operations of the company, including the development of financial strategies as well as metrics tied to those strategies, and the ongoing development and monitoring of control systems designed to preserve company assets and report accurate financial results. The CFO provides direction and oversight for, but not limited to, accounting and finance, legal and regulatory issues, equity program oversight and execution. In addition, s/he will be responsible for professional relationship management (attorneys, accountants, bankers, etc.) and give back civically to the community.
The successful candidate will have 15+ years of business experience in both large and small organizations as a trusted partner to extraordinarily smart and sophisticated clientele. Must be both intellectually and street smart because our team, our clients, and our market demand it.
They will have a proven track record of achievement in leading, mentoring and managing high performing groups of “knowledge workers” in a completely client‐centric environment.
They will have a high level of gravitas and outstanding interpersonal skills including the ability to build effective and collaborative working relationships. They will be a poised motivator who is approachable by all levels of the firm and a strong delegator/manager who can also “roll up their sleeves” and get the job done.
They will have the ability to prioritize and manage multiple priorities in ever‐changing situations. They will possess extremely strong quantitative, analytical and communication skills (both oral and written) including the ability to interact confidently and successfully with senior level executives, both internally and externally in essence, they must be skilled in all aspects of client service and able to contribute to the ongoing professional development of the Crestone team.
Firm Leadership and Management
- Partner with the executive team to provide strategic direction and overall firm leadership
- Collaborate with all levels of the firm including advisory board
- Work closely and collaboratively with peers in all departments of the firm and more broadly throughout our global ecosystem.
- Participate actively in the most senior levels of management within the firm.
- Operate with the highest degree of integrity and professionalism at all times and expect the same from all levels within the organization.
Finance and Accounting
- Develop capital structure strategy and tactics (i.e., oversight and execution of firm equity program and management of Crestone Capital Holdings’ Operating Agreement)
- Review and interpret financial statements and develop financial forecasting and reporting
- Manage shareholder income tax planning and communications
Legal and Regulatory
- Manage vendor contract negotiations
- Collaborate with outside counsel on development of various business contracts and investment legal documents
- Collaborate with Chief Compliance Officer and interface with regulatory organizations
- Manage real estate leases, negotiations, accounting and reporting, and professional brokerage and property management relationships
- Collaborate with Technology and Systems team to assess and evaluate information technology strategies
- Proactively identify best-in-class practices, industry trends and emerging platforms/tools
- Oversee our outsourced fractional CTO
- Collaborate with key stakeholders to develop and execute on processes for effectively performing consistent assessments of the company's key risks
- Aggregate quantitative data (key risk indicators) and qualitative factors from various business units to gauge evolving trends; review, effectively challenge, and present a holistic view of risk for the company
Professional Relationship Management
- Build strong relationships with bankers, custodians, outside legal counsel, auditors, tax professionals, insurance brokers, valuation consultants, etc.
Position Leadership Characteristics
Industry Credibility and Relationship Mastery
- Genuine relationships are based on credibility and genuine relationships are the foundation of our firm.
Focus and Discipline
- A clear vision that helps determine priorities and make the necessary corrections to get back on course when necessary; instinctively evaluates whether a particular action will help move the firm and/or organization toward a goal. Self‐discipline to insure focus. Focus to achieve a goal as quickly and efficiently as practical.
Self‐Assurance and Poise
- Take risks, meet new challenges, stake claims, and, most important, deliver results.
It is more than just self‐confidence; it is the ability to have confidence not just as a skill set, but also in judgment to evaluate the opinions of others.
Adaptability and Versatility
- Embrace change quickly and not resent the inevitable sudden detours. The ability to be productive and live in the tension of the unknown future destination. The ability to listen to a variety of perspectives and consider other options when the original plan no longer makes sense. Situational awareness to lead the charge in exploiting opportunities and addressing problems. Highly developed problem-solving skills to contribute to our culture of innovation and continual improvement.
Intuition and Trust
- Often times there will not be a roadmap on what to do and most things will be uncertain. The higher the risk, the higher the pressure will be. Utilizing past experiences as a reference, but ultimately taking accountability for the tough decisions regardless of their outcome
Crestone Capital has a vaccine mandate in place for all employees who work from a Crestone office.