Director of Tax
Who We Are. Crestone Capital, LLC is based in Boulder, Colorado, with offices in Denver and San Francisco. Crestone is a leading multi-family office for ultra-high-net-worth entrepreneurs and executives. Crestone provides fully integrated investment management and wealth advisory services to a select group of nationwide clients. We help our clients protect and enhance their wealth, simplify their financial lives, and achieve their evolving personal and financial goals. Our services include global investment access, strategy, and management; estate and philanthropic planning; income tax planning and reporting; financial and cash flow planning; personal financial statement maintenance; and investment portfolio reporting. Crestone currently advises on approximately $2.5 billion of client assets and serves 90 clients. Crestone has been recognized by Outside Magazine as One of America's Best Places to Work (2014 and 2016).
The Role. The Director of Tax will be a valued member of the Client Advisory team who infuses tax awareness and expertise into all aspects of the client experience and portfolio. This individual should expect to take charge of tasks and initiatives, focusing on both short term, annual and long-term client outcomes. This role requires both a team and utility player mentality and candidates should be adept at problem solving and thinking outside the box.
The Expected (this is what we know but expect the unexpected).
- Act as a thought leader as it relates to tax law changes/reform and capitalize on such changes within client portfolios and on investment decisions; craft whitepapers and draft client correspondence as appropriate
- Interact with client CPAs and drive professional team calls to ensure a seamless family office experience regarding tax matters, including year-end tax planning, quarterly tax projections and estimated payments, and utilizing carry forwards and credits
- Act as a liaison between the Client Advisory and Investment Research teams as it relates to tax minimization and efficiency of investment strategies
- Collaborate with Accounting and Reporting teams to implement best practices on client tax reporting and apprising client advisors of notable book/tax differences that may meaningfully impact clients
- Participate in client and internal meetings as Crestone’s in-house tax expert as appropriate
- Research/solve for one-off client tax matters
- Continuously expand referral network, building Crestone's presence and brand
- This role is NOT responsible for the preparation of any tax returns
- Undergraduate degree with a preference for Finance, Accounting, and/or a related field
- 8+ years’ experience with a public accounting firm (preferably working with alternative investments or with high net worth clients who invest in alternatives) and/or experience in a high level tax role with a wealth management firm with a meaningful asset allocation to the same
- Deep knowledge of the tax code, balanced with a fluency in articulating tax matters in a sophisticated and relatable manner
- Strong quantitative, analytical, and problem-solving skills
- Excellent attention to detail, as well as strong verbal and written communication skills
- Sound judgment, self-starter, and ability to handle concurrent demands efficiently and to take ownership of results
- Masters of Taxation (or Accounting)
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) designation