Executive Director, Family Wealth Planning
Who Are We?
Crestone Capital, LLC is based in Boulder, Colorado, with offices in Denver, San Francisco, and Los Angeles. Crestone is a leading multi-family office serving ultra-high-net-worth entrepreneurs and executives. Crestone provides fully integrated investment management and wealth advisory services to a select group of clients. We help our clients protect and enhance their wealth, simplify their financial lives, and achieve their evolving personal and financial goals. Our services include global investment access, strategy, and management; estate and philanthropic planning; income tax planning and reporting; financial and cash flow planning; personal financial statement maintenance; and investment portfolio reporting. Crestone currently advises on approximately $3 billion of client assets and serves 100+ clients. Crestone has been recognized by Outside Magazine as One of America's Best Places to Work.
What's the Job?
The Executive Director, Wealth Planning is a key role in providing and maintaining the world-class level of service that the Wealth Planning (“WP”) department has historically provided in coordinating our clients’ overall estate, philanthropic, and income tax planning involving trusts. This role will collaborate with the Managing Director of Client Advisory, as well as the entire Advisory team to execute on same.
What Will You Do? (this is what we know, but expect the unexpected)
- Estate and Philanthropic Planning: Provides development and periodic review of clients’ estate plans with customized recommendations including implementation of complex estate tax saving strategies
- Liaison with clients’ attorneys and CPAs regarding strategy (including tax impact), document preparation, and execution
- Proactive planning for upcoming events (including tax reform, liquidity events, etc.) affecting clients’ existing estate plans
- Maximizes opportunities to educate and involve the next generation of client families (i.e., leading family meetings)
- Enables clients to create philanthropic plans that are unique to their family, including introduction to and evaluation of various charitable giving techniques
- Collaborates with clients’ attorneys and CPAs with regard to creation, maintenance, and termination of philanthropic entities, such as donor-advised funds, private foundations, charitable trusts, and supporting organizations
- Oversees WP Associate’s preparation of meeting material and various administrative items related to estate and philanthropic planning (e.g., proper titling of accounts, annuity payments, interest payments, withdrawal notices, life insurance matters, valuations) to execute on above
- Income Tax Planning: Proactive planning around implementation of complex income savings strategies involving trusts
- Proactive planning around the implementation of complex income strategies with respect to client’s liquidity events
- Strategic Growth: Grows, maintains, and leverages network and relationships; seizes opportunities to message Crestone; and implements cutting-edge, tax-saving strategies for pre-liquidity clients/potential clients
- Actively participates in potential client meetings serving as a Subject Matter Expert to assist Client Advisory team in business development activity
- Strategically grows, maintains, and leverages both “Friends of the Firm” (FOF) network and client relationships
- Seeks out and embraces opportunities to message Crestone and specifically the WP service offering
- Collaborates with Director of Tax in actively exploring and vetting tax-saving strategies that resonate with potential clients; implements cutting-edge, tax-saving strategies for pre-liquidity clients and potential clients
- Creates and refines business development meeting materials
- Promotes cross collaboration through sharing expertise with other departments
- Collaborates with Client Advisory group to increase each advisor’s ability to articulate the WP value proposition and potential tax strategies and so that estate, income, and philanthropic planning matters complement cash flow/lifestyle needs and investment strategy
- Serves as “go to” resource for investment professionals to assist them in becoming conversant in tax matters and to capably handle both tax and non-tax related issues within their respective departments
- Collaborates with all members of the team, but particularly, the Client Advisory group to increase each advisor’s ability to articulate the WP value proposition and potential tax strategies and so that estate, income, and philanthropic planning matters complement cash flow/lifestyle needs and investment strategy
- Serves as “go to” resource for investment professionals to assist them in becoming conversant in tax matters and to capably handle both tax and non-tax related issues
What Do You Need?
- Juris doctorate
- 7+ years of experience in a highly entrepreneurial, boutique financial services, law firm or wealth management company
- 5+ years of experience interacting with high-net-worth clients
- Proven leadership skills, great attention to detail, ability to see the “big picture”
- Integrity and confidentiality at the highest level
- LLM in Taxation